Project L.I.F.E.

Living Independently For Everyone

Employment Opportunities

View and apply to open positions

Help Us... Make Everyone Count

Providing Homes

Promoting Independence


About Us

Newburgh Interfaith Emergency Housing Incorporated opened Project L.I.F.E., (Living Independently For Everyone) in 1993 as a N.Y.S. licensed Tier II shelter to provide transitional housing for homeless families who are Residents of Orange County.

Project L.I.F.E. has provided housing and support services to over one thousand families with an overall success rate of 85%, placing families in permanent housing within a six month time frame.


In January 2020, there were 580,466 people experiencing homelessness on our streets and in shelters in America. Most were individuals (70 percent), and the rest 30 percent were people in families with children. They lived in every state and territory, and they include people from every gender, racial, and ethnic group. However, some groups are far more likely than others to become homeless.


New York State has the second highest rate of family homelessness in the nation.


In the January 2018 shelter count there were 80 families residing in OC shelters with 165 children in families below the age of 18.

Featured Services

Project L.I.F.E. is a transitional shelter for sixteen homeless families referred by the Orange County Department of Social Services. Families stay in their own furnished apartments and are given bedding, bath, kitchen and household items.



Project L.I.F.E. believes that a home like environment empowers families…



Case Managers provide advocacy, advice and encouragement….



Families are housed in a safe and supportive community…



Project L.I.F.E. provides child care for the families in the program…



184 First Street provides low income housing for single parents with one child who have completed the Project L.I.F.E. program



Rapid Rehousing provides case management and financial assistance to move households from shelters to permanent housing


"I wish that I could articulate the tremendous impact Project Life has had, does have, in my life. Without going into great detail, I’ll just say that I’d been homeless at a young age, which stemmed from abuse, neglect, tragedy, and just overall maltreatment. Project Life rescued me from the streets and ultimately from myself.

I fit into nearly all the stereotypes…….young, Black, female, single parent, no parental guidance, high school dropout, and poor. These things I’d always been aware of but was never reminded of while living at Project Life. They really strived to get me to a better, more healthy place, mentally through counseling and other programs. I was able to focus on goals that would help me to become stable and independent without worrying about if I was going to eat that day. I was safe, finally, and looked after by people who showed a genuine interest in my well-being.

They gave me life, literally, one that without their help would’ve succumbed to negative influences, and maybe, not exist today. I’m forever thankful, grateful and I feel indebted. I’ll always do my best knowing where I’ve come from but also because Project Life gave me the opportunity & tools to keep going."

L.I.F.E. Guest - April 2018

"Here is a chance for a brand new start
A Happy ending when you do your part
Your family gains a new beginning
It’s all there as long as you’re willing
A place your children will be happy, have fun
Be safe and have peace when each day is done"

L.I.F.E. Guest

Get in Touch

Project L.I.F.E.